The man killed in Orly was an Islamist arrested by the police
A man was killed Saturday morning at the airport in Orly, France, after he removed the statutory weapon from a military anti-terrorist device, as confirmed by the French government.
Sources from the country’s Interior Ministry have reported that there has been no need to mourn between law enforcement officials and airport occupants. The events have taken place in the southern area of Orly in one of the access rooms to airplanes that mostly cover domestic flights.
Interior Ministry spokesman Pierre-Henry Brandet said that at 0830 hours (0730 GMT) an individual removed the statutory weapon from a soldier and tried to take refuge in an airport trade.
Numerous agents in the area went to the scene and killed the man, who did not respond to the shots, the spokesman said. Authorities ordered the evacuation of the airport and found no explosives in the body of the dead man, according to interior ministry sources.
The man shot down by police and intelligence services, French authorities said, adding that the Anti-Terror Prosecutor’s Office has taken over the investigation.
Speaking to the press at the airport, the Ministry of Interior, Bruno Le Roux confirmed that the same man had opened fire a half hour before against a check of police in Stains, north of the capital, where he wounded an Agent, although its condition is not serious.
According to BFM TV, the man left the car, a Renault Clio that had been previously stolen, in the department of Val de Marne, and stole another car, a Citroën Picasso, which was later found in the Orly car park.
Without specifying the reasons for which he was signed, the minister said that it was in the files of both the police and the intelligence services. Le Roux did not refer to the facts explicitly as an attack, but the investigation has been commissioned to the antiterrorist section of the Office of the Prosecutor of Paris.
Meanwhile, French police have informed through Twitter that there is an ongoing operation and has asked citizens to avoid moving to the airport where flights have been canceled after authorities ordered the airlines to suspend all flights. Operations.
“I was queuing up for the check-in on the flight to Tel Aviv when we heard three or four shots nearby,” a traveler, 54-year-old Lecam Franck, told AFP.“We are all outside the airport about 200 meters from the entrance. There are police, emergency, military officers running in all directions, “he added.
French President François Hollande has highlighted “the courage and effectiveness” shown by police officers and military personnel who confronted the “particularly dangerous” man.
In a statement issued by the Elysee Palace, Hollande “reaffirms the determination of the State to act without respite to fight terrorism, defend the security of our compatriots and ensure the protection of the territory.”
“The surveillance will be maintained at the highest level, and once again the operation ‘Sentinelle’ has proved its usefulness in complementing the police forces and the gendarmerie,” said Hollande